YPD media (yeast extract peptone dextrose) also known as YEPD (yeast extract peptone dextrose) named after its composition. YPD media is a complete media formulated by Sherman F. Yeast can grow in media containing salts and glucose. However, the presence of peptone and yeast extract aids faster growth.
Used as complete media. Not useful for selection of auxotroph.
pH is not adjusted for this medium. However, in case of requirement, adjust pH to 7.0 with 5M NaOH (~200µL for 1L).
|Reagent||% of reagent (W/V)||Composition for 500 ml||Composition for 1L|
|Bacto Agar (optional)||1.5 - 2%|
- Yeast Extract
- Dextrose (Glucose)
- Bacto agar
- Deionized water
Instruments and other requirements
- Petri dishes (if preparing agar plates)
- Magnetic stirrer and pellet
- Suspend the ingredients in deionized water.
- Heat if necessary to dissolve the medium completely.
- Sterilize by filtration (0.22 micron) or autoclaving (15 minutes at 121 °C).
Store for several weeks at room temperature.
Peptone and yeast extract are hygroscopic. Close the bottle caps tightly.